||The Organ of the See of Mariana The Cathedral of Mariana houses a precious musical treasure – an organ built in the first decade of the 18th century in Hamburg, Germany by Arp Schnitger (1648-1719), one of the most important organbuilders of all times. Initially sent to a Franciscan church in Portugal, the organ arrived in Brazil in 1753 as a present of the Portuguese crown to the first bishop of Mariana.
It is an instrument of great importance, both because of its antiquity and established authorship and because it has undergone a comprehensive restoration. Among the extant Schnitger organs, this is one of the best preserved and the only one outside Europe. The instrument is being considered for inclusion in UNESCO’s World Heritage list of Arp Schnitger organs.